White Rabbit..

Wanderer
I want to know about White Rabbit?

StoryTeller
Adobe is releasing its new product  Photoshop CS5 on 12th April 2010, code named White Rabbit . It is setting a new benchmark in the space of image editing. Photoshop is now Content Aware.

Wanderer
What does it mean to be Content Aware?

StoryTeller
My digital camera picks up what it sees (WYSIWYG -- What you see is What you get) . It models the real world in terms of pixels. Greater the number of pixels ,better the approximation of real world. However , my camera doesn't  have a look behind feature. If I take a photograph of a brick wall, I will surely get the pixel representation of wall. However , I won't get a second layer of pixel representation of things behind the wall. Surprised !! . Thats what I call look behind feature. 

That day in the garden, I met a very beautiful tree. As a token of love, I took a close-up snap, with the tree smiling right at the center of my photograph. I missed the look behind feature. I wanted to capture a playful small white rabbit just behind the tree's trunk.  Hey , that sounds  crazy. How would my camera ever know what's behind the tree? Don't worry, It doesn't know. So now, I had this snap ready with a big huge tree smiling at me and with the mountains in the backdrop and a lush green lawn giving my subject(the tree) a soothing company.

My wife liked the snap. But she complained that the tree was obstructing her view !!! "What are you trying to see in this picture?" . "How do you ever know about the white rabbit ?" I asked . My wife starred at me. "What white rabbit ? I can't see the mountains, the tree is coming in the way" ,she said. "If you want the coffee, get rid of that tree from the photograph. You have 2 minutes" she ordered. Oh, I got it. I would need to change the subject of my photograph. The tree had to go and the mountains and the lawn had to stay. But how?

Wanderer
What about the coffee?

StoryTeller
I missed my coffee. I wish I had Photoshop CS5.

Wanderer 
How would Photoshop CS5 help?

StoryTeller
Photoshop CS5 has a magic wand . It has a Content Aware Fill ( PatchMatch ) functionality. You can select the tree in the photograph and delete it. The texture synthesizer algorithm will figure out that the tree has a backdrop filled with mountains and is surrounded by  a lawn. It auto-fills the hole created by deleting the tree.
The end result is a photograph with mountains and lawn, but no tree. No one else would notice the absence of the tree from the photograph except me. Thanks to Content Aware feature of Photoshop CS5.

Wanderer 
Wow, are there any other interesting features?

StoryTeller
Yes, you can adjust the lens setting for your photograph. This would help you correct a mistaken camera lens setting or experiment with new lens settings. They have also introduced a puppet warp feature. This allows you to pin a puppet present in the photograph at certain strategic places like say knee joints. You can then alter and manipulate the puppet's anatomy in several sophisticated ways.


Wanderer 
What about the white rabbit  playing behind the tree?

StoryTeller
Rabbit's busy preparing for it first appearance on 12th April. I guess we will have to wait until Adobe releases CS6.. or CS7 ...with some new omniscient algorithm that will detect and retain the rabbit behind the tree. Though, I will also need a camera with look behind feature. Till then, its the lawn and the mountains. 

Watch its really impressive sneak peak.





Comments

Dhiraj Rao said…
hm....nice one
actually i waz vry curious abt the rabbit...i thought u wer goin to explain how to have a look behind feature in CS5...
ny ways...better adobe release such feature... shortly...

Popular posts from this blog

Harikavach ( Level 3 )

Potter Metaphor.

Grapes a Metaphor